Friday, February 8, 2013

Best Experiences with Educational Technology

Technology is fun. I enjoy using my computer and other devises for personal use. I'm really excited to be in this program learning about different ways to incorporate technology into my professional life. I have had several great experiences with technology in my classroom. One of them being using google images to look up pictures of insects for my students, another was recording my students to make a video for my 522 class.

Over the summer, my class did a month long unit on insects. We read several Eric Carle books with insects for main characters. We read non-fiction books as well, but my students did not find those as interesting. In our Discovery center I added large, realistic looking insects and magnifying glasses for the children to explore. Two of my students were playing with the insects, and came up to me to ask what kind of insect they were. I knew what some of them were, for example the moth, and the lady bug, but I was not sure of the rest. To figure out this problem, we decided to look up types of beetles (I know enough to recognize that most of them were types of beetle) on google.com. We looked at the pictures and found some that closely resembled our insect toys. Several more of my students came over to watch and explore. I was so happy that my students were interested and excited about learning about this topic, and the fact that I could help find answers to their questions with them there. I think this teaches them that the world is at their fingertips. There is no question that cannot be answered, it's just a matter of looking.

Another great experience was last semester. I had to create a video for the 522 class. I knew that topic was going to be about inclined planes, and I had a lesson in mind to do with my students. The problem was that it is a difficult idea to get across to preschoolers, so I wanted to make it fun for them and also wanted to make use technology to help motivate students to focus and pay attention. I decided to record this lesson. I had a talk with the students before hand that I was going to use a camera to make a video about them. They needed to use their best listening ears and quiet voices so they can be in my video. The students were so excited! When it came time to actually do the lesson and record the class, they did a nice job. Many of them did show what good listeners they can be. I think the video camera was a good motivational tool to help the students focus more. I also think they liked the idea of being in a video!

Technology has many great benefits in the classroom. These two examples were my best experiences using different resources with my students. I liked it because it got my students excited about learning. This is something every educator struggles with, and I am glad to say on these two accessions my students were eager and interested in the topic at hand, thanks to the technological resources that I had available.

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job of instructing your students about insects. Google images is a great way to connect technology to preschoolers. Using Google images is a great way to get the students to understand the lesson on a new level. Using the skills that you acquire in this program in your classroom is an excellent way to better your instruction and educate your students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your experiences consistently prove that educational technology DOES work with preschoolers! I enjoyed the way you solved a problem with your preschoolers by using Google images. If you haven't taken EDT 514 yet, you have to make a virtual field trip for this class. It might be fun visiting the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art in Amherst!

      Delete